[AZ-Observing] Novice Group meeting at Flatiron site on Saturday night

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 19:05:32 -0700

Howdy folks;
Just a quick reminder that the SAC Novice group is meeting on Saturday night at
the Flatiron site to the west of Phoenix.  We will get together in twilight and
answer any questions you have about telescopes or observing, no question is too
elementary.  Once it gets dark we are prepared to offer a view through some
scopes at a variety of telescopes at a variety of objects.  Just bring your
curiosity.  The site is about 60 minutes drive out of town so please leave by 5
PM or so, that way there is plenty of time to get to the site and get ready.
If you have a folding chair and a red flashlight, those are great accessories.

I also recommend a jacket or coat, I know it is hot, but it will be chilly by 9
PM.

Here are the directions to the site, we hope to see you there;
Steve Coe

Travel west from Phoenix on I-10 until you get to Exit 103, the 339th Ave.
exit.  Rip Griffin's Truck Stop is at this exit.  Go north (right) on 339th
Ave. for 2 miles and then turn west (left) on Indian School Rd.  Go 2 mi.
and then turn north (right) on 355th Ave.  This road becomes Wickenburg Road
along the way.

Go 12.2 miles.  You will pass "Flatiron" Mountain on the left, hence the
name of the site.  At mile marker 23.3 you will turn east (right) onto a
wide dirt road.  (This road does NOT run along a fence line.  If it does,
you went too far and are on the wrong dirt road.  The correct dirt road is
to the south of the road with the fence.)  If you go too far on Wickenburg
Road, there is a cattle guard and a Bureau of Land Management sign
immediately along the road to let you know you missed the turnoff.

Note your odometer reading when you turn onto the dirt road.  The site is
0.9 miles from the pavement.  The dirt road goes through a wash and the site
is on the left after you have traveled through the wash.  It is a large
area of desert pavement on the left side of the road.  Some white rocks mark
the entrance to the observing site.  The trip is all on hard surface roads,
until you turn onto the dirt road, which is well maintained.

Author "Deep Sky Observing--The Astronomical Tourist"
Saguaro Astronomy Club website
www.saguaroastro.org