[AZ-Observing] Re: Nova

  • From: "Lucia Wheele" <nyclady@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 15:34:45 -0700

please remove my email from your list
nyclady@xxxxxxx

Lucia Wheele
-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Strauss
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2013 8:39 AM
To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [AZ-Observing] Re: Nova

I also observed it last night from my home in NE Tucson. Paul's description
is a good one, the arrow of Sagitta points essentially to the nova. I
observed it naked eye and through 12x36 binoculars at about 11 PM. I would
'guesstimate' the brightness as about magnitude 5.

I thought it was slightly fainter than 29 Vulpecula , listed at magnitude
4.44 and also slightly fainter than the western pair (alpha and beta) of
stars in the Sagitta arrow asterism. These stars are not the brightest in
the constellation (gamma is?) despite their designation as alpha and beta
and are also listed at approx. magnitude 4.4.

Anyway, it was fun to spot it...and it will be interesting to read today if
it is still brightening for perhaps an easier observation tonight.

Clear(ing) skies,
Alan