[AZ-Observing] Re: Nova

  • From: "Lucia Wheele" <nyclady@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 13:55:10 -0700

please remove me from your email list

nyclady@xxxxxxx

Lucia Wheele
luciawheele@xxxxxxxxx
602-686-0463
-----Original Message-----
From: L Knauth
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2013 7:38 AM
To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [AZ-Observing] Re: Nova

I observed it last evening from my home in northeast Mesa. Looked slightly
brighter than 29 Vulpeculae.

To find it from the city with binocs, center the field on the 4 keystone
stars of Delphinus, and then move toward the zenith until they are almost
out of the field (I was using 8x42 Leitz Trinovids, your mileage may vary).
2 stars will then be at the top of the field. The one to the right (west) is
the nova.  Although the moon was washing out the sky and there are some high
clouds, I could see it intermittently with the naked eye in averted vision
(stared at the east end of Sagitta but concentrated on the position of the
nova). Everything taken together, it is not one of visual astronomy's
greatest sights. Of course, knowing what that point represents is another
story. (If you can't see Delphinus to start, center Altair in the binocs and
there will be a bright star toward the top and the bottom. Put the top
bright star at the right edge of the binoc field and go one field to your
left (east). The 4 bright stars are the keystone of Delphinus) Go up from
there as indicated abov
e.

Paul Knauth