[AZ-Observing] Re: Not Really AZ or Observing: Space Shuttle Video

  • From: "Jimmy Ray" <jimmy_ray@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 06:38:17 -0700

Ah yes, I had forgotten that from the side view the shuttle goes through
(one?) flex cycle and SRB ignition occurs at it swings back to vertical. If
you watch from the top of the SRB looking down, the illusion (?) is that the
orbiter (but not the SRB) moves forward (spaceward) a few inches, falls back
with SRB ignition occurring as the orbiter comes back to "rest". As the
camera is at the top of the flexing stack, it would obviously be in motion
with the rest of the vehicle and being at the top should see a fair deal of
motion. I'll go back ad watch it again with the stack flex in mind and see
if the illusion "goes away"...

Jimmy Ray