[AZ-Observing] Re: North country windstorm

  • From: "William R Wood" <wmrwood@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 05:57:48 -0700

These comments from Brian and Steve are most interesting.

A couple of weeks back I experienced an hour of the best seeing I ever had
(I rated it 8/10) and it occured during quite windy conditions.  I was using
a 10" D-K Cassegrain and was able to split sub arc second (.7") doubles at
400-600x with ease but the images were bouncing around in the eyepiece like
crazy from the wind blowing my scope.

I know it's not scientific but I use naked-eye scintillation to "test"
seeing every time I go out.  Never has it been wrong.  If the stars twinkle
a lot, seeing is terrible and visa versa.  I also find that the Clear Sky
Clock's seeing preditions are pretty good.

Regards,

Bill Wood
Fountain Hills, AZ