[AZ-Observing] Re: No lasers at Bryce Canyon

  • From: Joe Larkin <joeclarkin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 10:34:39 -0700 (PDT)

> This  may sound complicated, but the easiest way to do this is to
> use a set
> of  not-quite-fresh  batteries.   This also happens on colder
> evenings when
> the laser and batteries do not operate as efficiently.  I believe
> it may be
> possible  to  make a small disk of a low-resistance material, about
> 1/4"  thick  and  the  same  diameter as a AAA or AA battery, that
> could be
> inserted  in  series  with the batteries, thus limiting the current
> and the
> laser's  output  power.  This material would have a very low
> resistance, of
> maybe  just  a few tenths of an ohm.  I'll see what I can come up
> with, and

Use a piece of unetched double sided circuit board. Cut a small round
piece about the diameter of your batteries. The copper on one side is
isolated from the other side by the board material between them.

Solder a low value pot to two wires, then solder one wire to each
side of the board. Put the board between two batteries in series or
between a battery and a battery terminal in the laser.

Adjust the resistance with the pot to control the brightness.

Joe Larkin