[AZ-Observing] Re: Nexstar Telescopes

  • From: "Dan Gruber" <dan.gruber@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 09:58:36 -0700

Ken, I have a Nexstar 8 SE purchased late last year. I also owned a Nexstar
5i 3 or 4 years ago. It's a fine grab-and-go scope. It has a variety of
alignment options; I usually use the "auto 2-star" option, which works well.
It also has two nice options for doing DSO work: local synch and "precise
goto". Swanson is the authority on the Nexstar line. Google his name and
Nexstar to find his site, which has a great deal of excellent info. There's
also a Nexstar Yahoo group which is worth monitoring. Given that it's a
single-arm mount and a relatively inexpensive scope, the tracking and goto
aren't perfect. But the optics are good and I'd certainly recommend it.

Dan Gruber