[AZ-Observing] Re: News 12

  • From: "Jones, Jack (AZ75)" <jack.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 09:34:05 -0700

I originally suspected Jennifer Keller as the source, since I recently gave
her Sean's name as a potential speaker for SAC, but that would be on
"meteor"-ology, which he knows something about, and not comet-ology, on
which he is just a rank "amateur", and an enthusiastic one at that. As far
as astronomy in general, he's the most sympathetic/knowledgable news/weather
person in the Valley sorry to say. I'll always remember the hapless (Ch 5?)
news anchor reporting the volcanoes discovered on "Jupiter's Moon 10".

Jack

> >>  He said that the photo was courtesy of Lowell
> Observatory, who provided
> >>  them the link to the photo (Brian?).
>
>      I sent the URL to the Lowell staff since there is
> general interest,
> and we're bound to get phone calls, tourists visiting, etc.  I'm told
> that this afternoon someone from Ch 12 called us and got our PR person
> Steele Wotkyns, asking if we knew anything about the comet.
> Steele of course
> gave him the URL for Tom's pictures, and the rest is over the
> airwaves.
> Seems like the TV station could have at least mentioned Tom, given the
> local connection, but since they evidently got just about
> everything else
> wrong, perhaps this isn't surprising.
at part of the sky.