[AZ-Observing] Re: New nova V1280 in Scorpius

  • From: Joe Orman <joe.orman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 18:36:58 -0800 (PST)

I observed V1280 Scorpii from the Gila reservation south of Phoenix this
morning (Wednesday 2/21).  Sky was cloudless but I also had to contend with
mist/haze.  Couldn't quite see the nova naked-eye, but easy through 10x50
binoculars.  I estimated the magnitude at 5.0 based on comparison with nearby
stars -- consistent with the AAVSO observations:
  http://www.aavso.org/cgi-bin/newql.pl?name=V1280%20Sco&output=html

  finder charts:
  http://skytonight.com/observing/home/Nova-Sco-2007.html

http://www.aavso.org/cgi-bin/shrinkwrap.pl?path=/charts/SCO/V1280_SCO/V1280SCO-AA.GIF

  According to the skytonight article, a second nova (around magnitude 9) has
been discovered in Scorpius, only 3 degrees south of V1280!

  --Joe

Andrew Cooper  wrote:

Nova Scorpii 2007 (0602HST, 12x36 binos) Obvious and fairly bright in
the binoculars, not visible naked eye due to poor conditions
(mist/haze), about 1 degree north of 27 Sco, even with HD153613, even in
magnitude as well, about 5.0, reports show 4.3mg. yesterday, so it is
fading rapidly