[AZ-Observing] New Moon at Fredericksen's Meadow

  • From: stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "az-observing@fre" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 16:55:27 -0400

Howdy all;

Well, it was not a great time as far as super clear nights, but we enjoyed
ourselves very much.  My three friends who I met at the Oregon Star Party
made to the Galaxy Cafe in Flagstaff and we had cheeseburgers, milk shakes
and lots of gab.  Then I led them to the site and they got set up.  Two 20
inch scopes and one 25 incher.

As the week progressed we had two night of good viewing, I gave it a 6 out
of 10 for seeing and 7 for transparency--good but not great.  Several
nights were heavily effected by the smoke from the fires, so we sat around
and chatted in hopes that the sky would clear. But, it usually didn't.

AJ, Lynn Blackburn, Dick Harshaw and Ken Naiff came up for a while and
then after a pretty fair night, the next was horrid and they either went
home or on to the site for the annular eclipse.  Dwight Bogan came up for
one night before the eclipse.  My three friends drove up Hwy. 87 and found
a spot off the road and got some images with Ron's solar scope.

It was a fun time, made better by friends;
Steve Coe