[AZ-Observing] New Image - M78

  • From: "Jon Christensen" <jonc97@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "EVAC -- The List" <evac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 14:39:33 -0700

Not knowing whether this weekend would be clouded out or not I hedged my bets
and went out last weekend.  This is my second try at photographing M78 - the
last time I did it was the first time I made a long exposure guided CCD image
which was in February of last year.  Even with my relatively short exposures I
saw tantilizing evidence of interesting dark lanes and cloud features.  My goal
this time was to take longer exposures and explore those features in more
detail.  This photograph has 24 times the luminance exposures as the previous
one.
http://members.cox.net/jonc97/images/astro/nebula/m78_2005.htm

I didn't monkey with the colors beyond adjusting each color channel
individually with curves in photoshop and boosting the saturation, so hopefully
they are somewhat indicative of the real colors.  The big red thing is part of
Barnard's loop.

Happy New Year!!!

Jon Christensen