[AZ-Observing] New 8" Edge HD First Light

  • From: Tim Jones <tjmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 11:26:40 -0700

Hi Folks,

Received my new Celestron 8" EdgeHD SCT and finally had a chance for first
light last night.  For those of you who know, I've been very attached to my
90mm refractor for some time, so this was a very big step.  Bob and I set up in
his backyard and performed all of those "unboxing" things and got things
leveled and balanced on my CG5 mount.  Balancing was an adventure and it looks
like the 7lb weight will either get twin, I'll need a longer bar, or I'll need
to move up to an 11lb counterweight once I add the guide scope and cameras.

Collimation was near perfect out of the box, but I'm sure we can get it spot on
with a little tweaking.  We replaced the 1.25" visual back with a 2" unit and
spent a bit of time getting used to the focuser (Featherlight 10:1 is on the
way).  We then tested a bevy of 2" and 1.25" eyepieces and were amazed by the
views in each case.

Targets included Jupiter - amazing in the 16MM Explorer Scientific, M15, M31,
M45 - the Celestron Focal Reducer combined with a 36mm, 72ยบ AFOV 2" eyepiece
got the whole thing, and finally M42 before the clouds from the SE moved in and
shut things down at 8:30.

All told, a great visual first light outing.

Tim