[AZ-Observing] NGC7635 - Bubble Nebula Image from last night

  • From: Howard Anderson <handy13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, EVAC ONLINE <EVAC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2013 09:36:46 -0700

Hi,

Just posted my latest image at the end of the list
on this page:

http://www.astroshow.com/Nebulae.html

Has been a while since I was able to make new images.
Weather was a major factor.  It was continuously awful
for three months.

Observatory glitches were a factor, i.e., presumably a nearby
lightning bolt induced voltage on lines to Foster roof control
board and blew the "Roof is Open" microprocessor input
terminal.  Also blew the weather monitor circuitry.  Board
said the roof was open and closed simultaneously.  The
software does not like that so would not open the roof.

Trip1:
Repaired the Fostor roof control board by replacing the
microprocessor and reprogramming the new one.  Ordered
new weather monitor which I will install on the next trip to
Rancho Hidalgo.

Gear in the Dec motor of the LX-200 Classic scope locked
up because it had worn away.  Scope was not well-balanced
in the Dec direction so that put extra stress on the plastic
gear...  Replaced Dec motor but it would not operate.
Replace Xilinx chip on the motherboard.  Still no go.
The motor failed on the last night of a trip down there
to fix the Foster board...  Did not expect a new problem...

Trip 2:
One more trip down there.  Had to wait one hour within
10 miles of Rancho Hidalgo for a flash flood to diminish
enough so that travel was allowed.  Road crew pushed
12 inch boulders off the road below the water and made
sure there was still road there that we could drive 100
feet through the water.

I replaced the chip on the LX-200 motherboard
that provides power to the Dec motor.
It had blown when the motor could not turn due to the
damaged gear.  Success...

Everything is back in working order after two trips.
Thus I am now again able to get new images...

Trip 3:
One more trip is planned in a month or so to install the new
weather monitor...

So the upside of a remote observatory is that you can get some
good images from a non-light-polluted place.

The downside is that it might take some effort and travel to keep
things working...  Fortunately it is only 250 miles.  Some people
that live on the East coast have sites there so their trips are
MUCH longer...  One guy with a site there lives in the Netherlands!

Thanks,

Howard
http://www.astroshow.com
http://www.azcendant.com