[AZ-Observing] Re: NGC2264 (The Cone Nebula)

  • From: pulind@xxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 23:31:34 -0500 (EST)

Bernard,

Great shot.  Regarding saturation and well depth, it seems inevitable to me
that bright stars will expose a group of adjacent pixels to their full output
value.  That is, pixels that aren't supposed to get any light at all are often
saturated.   A really severe case is 2nd magnitude Alnitak in shots of the
flame nebula.  I found that 6th magnitude stars in the Rosette nebula (12-MON
for instance) saturated a disk 15 pixels in diameter in a 5 minute exposure at
f/3.6.  This says to me that either a lot of stray light is hitting the
adjacent pixels, or light is being scattered within the silicon, similar to
halation in film. Trying to fix this in processing is challenging because
saturation is a non-linear process, not amenable to deconvolution.  It will be
great to hear your findings on the subject.

Paul Lind