[AZ-Observing] Re: NGC206 Enhanced Hydrogen Comparison

  • From: Brian Skiff <bas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 13:08:57 -0700 (MST)

>>  ...I would need of course a red filter
>>  that excludes hydrogen alpha.

     Not true.  See any of the large number of papers in the
professional literature that obtain H-alpha images just in the
manner I described.  The problem is that the H-alpha filter is
not so narrow that it excludes the red continuum.  So you subtract
out of the H-alpha image some fraction of the flux using the
broadband red image.

\Brian