[AZ-Observing] NGC2024 - The Flame Nebula

  • From: "Bernard Miller" <bgmiller011@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 19:29:33 -0700

Hi,

I just finished processing this image and could use some suggestions. There
is some good data here, but Alnitak is killing me. It was so bright it
completely dominates the right side of the image and turns the nebula
magenta. Yes. the glow from Alnitak originally extended all the way up to
the parts of the nebula that are magenta on the right side. I have spent
about a week trying to recover the color, but this is the best I can do. I
am starting to think I need to take some 30 second or 1 minute exposures and
blend those in like you do for M42, but I don't know how well that will work
for a star. Any suggestions would be appreciated because this is about the
best I can do.

http://www.azstarman.net/NGC2024.htm

Bernard