[AZ-Observing] Re: NGC 7662.....a question.

  • From: jack.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 11:45:29 -0700

Yes, NGC 7662, the Blue Snowball, not to be confused with NGC 3242 (Ghost of
Jupiter or CBS eye).

I'm doing the Urban list too, but haven't braved a Planetary yet in the f/8
6" SAC Club scope (Did you know we had one? I cleaned it up and overhauled
it, and it works great. Steve Dodder built the base). It may be that Urban
lack of contrast defeating you, I'll try that one tonite. Did you try an LP
or UHC filter? Should help quite a bit.

NGC 7662 - 314X - Bright blue oval, a hint of an inner ring making this
object look like an eye. (Jim Anderson)

NGC 3242 - the complex disc-inside-a-ring-inside-a-disc (Lew Gramer)

Jack

Thad;

Here are some observations of NGC 7662, a favorite of mine.

Steve

NGC 7662  17.5"  Pretty bright, pretty small, round, a greenish dot
at 100X. Using 320X it appears annular or ring-like, central star
suspected in good seeing.
13" Dugas Rd. 8/10  Lovely blue-green disk at 100X.  Going to 270X
with the 15mm and barlow shows several rings around a central star
that makes it look like the "CBS eye".

stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx