[AZ-Observing] Re: NGC 7464

  • From: "Jack Jones" <spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 19:39:17 -0700

Actually I think you may have observed 7464 and have recorded it in your
drawing. If you look at 7463, you will notice it extends a little out
toward 7465 after the bright nucleus oval. You may have mistaken 7464
for the fuzziness a little further on! You either drew it as nebulosity
or thought there was a smudge there. Or maybe it IS a smudge? Anyway,
what a great drawing. In my Deep Space CCD Atlas North (Vickers), it is
a small round fuzzy dot of an elliptical GX in that spot and is prob,
the reason for the difficulty in observing it. I "don't like" tiny
planetaries for the same reason: they look like stars. Check into this
book; I use the CCD Atlas all the time to check what I see and settle
arguments with myself and others.

Jack Jones
Saguaro Astronomy Club
Lunar List Awards and
Messier Marathon Co-coordinator
Phoenix AZ
spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> I have not observed NGC 7464 with the 10-inch. Hewitt-White describes
this
> stellar metropolis as having a visual magnitude of 13.3 and a diameter
of 0.5
> arcminute. That translates to a surface brightness of 20.4 magnitude
per
> square
> arcsecond, which is quite bright. I should have seen this object in
the
> 10-inch
> and did devote some time to the task. However, it eluded me.
>
> Has anyone on this list observed NGC 7464 with small or moderate
aperture?
> Would you mind sharing your notes?
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill Ferris
> "Cosmic Voyage: The Online Resource for Amateur Astronomers"

messages.  Thanks.