[AZ-Observing] NGC 709

  • From: "Ken Reeves" <kreeves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 23:19:12 -0700

 In re: 14.2 mag NGC 709, maybe higher power, 250-300x, might have done it.
The galaxy is midway between two equally bright (or equally dim) stars. I
caught it at AZ City in October near the meridian in my 14.5" at 200x.
  The problem was i had misidentified 714 as 709, as Vickers doesn't go all
the way to 714.  I had done no research or preparation for this group ahead
of time, it was just that 708 was on my list of thousands of objects to
observe.