[AZ-Observing] Re: NGC 4631 - The Whale Galaxy

  • From: "Richard Harshaw" <rharshaw2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 14:56:02 -0700

Beeee-you-ti-ful!

Richard Harshaw
Cave Creek, Arizona
Brilliant Sky Observatory

-----Original Message-----
From: az-observing-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:az-observing-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mike Wiles
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2012 2:52 PM
To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [AZ-Observing] NGC 4631 - The Whale Galaxy

Hello all,
This past weekend Chris Hanrahan and I were able to make good on our threats
to join a couple of Tucson friends and fellow amateurs down in Portal, AZ
for some observing and imaging.  Though there were some equipment hiccups on
the first night - leaving me to believe for a time that my laptop had taken
the dirtnap - I was able to get a pretty full night of camera time on our
second night down there.  My camera time was focused for the weekend on NGC
4631, also known as the Whale Galaxy which I'm presenting here.  I wanted to
focus on that galaxy specifically but in hindsight wish I had framed it to
give NGC 4656 (The Hockey Stick) a more prominent place in the image.
Complaints?  I wish I had about twice the amount of time as I was able to
capture.  Otherwise, pretty happy with the results.  Enjoy!!

*Date: *Apr 21, 2012
*Location: *Portal, Arizona
*Telescope:* Explore Scientific ES127CF Refractor - 127mm f/7.5 Triplet
*Mount: *Hypertuned Celestron CGE Mount
*Camera: *QHY8PRO One Shot Color CCD - 6.3 Megapixel APS-C sensor
*Guiding: *QHY5 & 9x50 finder via PHD
*Exposure: *22 x 15 minutes - 5.5 hours total
*Capture: *Maxim DL 5.18
*Calibration & Processing: *PixInsight 1.7 *Final Touches: *Photoshop CS5
The Whale and The Hockey Stick <http://astrobin.com/full/9394/?mod=none>

Mike