[AZ-Observing] Re: My New Observing Buddy (For One Day, Anyway)

  • From: Skylook123@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 18:31:57 EDT

LOL.  Thanks, Tim.  Actually, I've greatly reduced the food  intake over
the last few years, to the point that I'm now over forty pounds  lighter than
my earlier "playing weight."  Push-aways are the best  exercise!  Still, it
was a mighty good refueling event.

About 10 or 12 years ago, astronomy was losing its interest to me.   And
then I increased the public outreach, and it all became fun again, to the
point of 6-10 school star parties a month.  Yesterday we had Sharing The  Sky,
Tucson's largest public star party, on the UofA Mall from 3 to 10 PM.   SO
much enjoyment.  Mag -2 ISS pass, great sky, lots and lots of  visitors.

Late Fall can be challenging for rattlesnake adventures, as they go through
 a final skin shed before hibernating.  Their vision is messed up, and they
 get cranky.  I've heard of observers setting up in the afternoon, going
away for some socializing and a bite to eat, and coming back after sundown to
 find vision impaired snakes wrapped around warm tripod legs.  I did have
some dive-bombing bats come after a cloud of insects circling my laptop one
night.  THAT will wake you up.

Happy next one for you.  I grew up on the Great Lakes, lived in the  desert
for a couple of decades and on a Pacific Island for three years, the  last
great trip I'd like to do is an Alaskan glacier tour.  Hope you enjoy  your
adventure.

Jim O'Connor
South Rim Coordinator
Grand Canyon Star  Party
gcsp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In a message dated 5/7/2011 11:30:19 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
tjmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Happy  Birthday, Jim.  However, with all of those "Monster" meals, will you
see  the next :-) ? Spending the day at PA&S sharing solar astronomy is a
great  way to grow a day older.

My wife has a great Rattle Snake story from  Mt. Graham and the Discovery
Center... Needless to say, she stays home  now.

My big day's next Friday, but we'll be in Alaska without a scope  in sight.

Tim

On May 6, 2011, at 9:57 PM, Skylook123@xxxxxxx  wrote:

> Day 1 of my Year 65 on this planet began quite pleasantly.  Nice card
from
> best friend and spouse Susan, leisurely morning,  got ready for a day
time
> public  outreach doing some solar scope  teaching for young folks at
Space Day