[AZ-Observing] Re: My Meade 16" LX200R

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stan_gorodenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 16:38:59 -0700

Thanks for the offer to help Bill. I am sure I will need an extra hand.

Regarding the Datil/Pietown area. I had looked at some property about 10
miles closer to Datil in the Sugarloaf subdivision that is about 200-300
feet lower in elevation. On one night when I left my lot I made a note
of the steadiness of the sky. When I got to the other lot in Sugarloaf,
even though it is still over 7,000 feet elevation, the seeing definitely
was not as good. The Pietown area would be better than Sugarloaf,
though. I really don't know how Pietown would compare to my lot. I think
that whole high plains area from Pietown to the Arizona-NM border would
be good for astronomy because it is fairly smooth and high in elevation.
About three years ago I had looked at the Top of The World subdivision
at Pietown as a possible observatory site, but I did not like the
sandiness of the soil and the prices. Since then someone by the name of
Len did buy some lots and now has an observatory there.
Stan