[AZ-Observing] My AASP report

  • From: "Paul Lind" <pulind@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "AZ-Observing" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 13:47:39 -0700

Several SAC members attended the AASP Saturday night, including Steve and Rosie
Dodder, Tom Polakis, Jack Jones, Jimmy Ray, Rick Rotramel, and Wayne Thomas,
and me, plus others I may have missed. The transparency was very good, perhaps
a 9.   The blue part of the Trifid (M20) appeared as bright as the rest of M20
without any filter, and the dark lanes were well defined.  Seeing was good but
sort of variable, maybe 7+.  You could drive a truck right through the
double-double.  For closer doubles, the "Pierre" doubles in Orion  were
separated in my 14 inch at 192x and 350x, but only when using a lunar filter.
Without the filter the glare messed up the separation. These are 32 Ori and 52
Ori, and they have separations on the order of 1 arcsec.
The veil, east and west portions, were stunning in Rick Rotramel's 12 inch with
an O-III filter and approx 30mm eyepiece. The "gulf of Mexico region" of NAA
was also great.

Tom Polakis pointed out a naked-eye synchronous satellite which turned out to
be a pair of satellites. In my undriven scope these sat still in the center of
the field while the stars drifted by. Really cool.

A great time was had by all.  Thanks go to EVAC.

Paul Lind