[AZ-Observing] Mt. Wilson Observing Run

  • From: "Chuck" <astrogeoc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <evac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "AZ Observing" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:31:10 -0700

I am wondering if anyone would be interested in an all night observing run at
Mt. Wilson's 60" Hale telescope.  The cost of that is at present $ 900 all
night and half night ending at midnight is $ 450 and includes an telescope
operator.  This is strictly observing selected objects some preplanned by the
operator and some the participants would like to list at the time.
It is permissible to bring your own CCD or astro-camera but, due to the time to
set up these on the telescope while others lose observing time, it is not
recommended by Mt. Wilson. One could use a digital through the eyepiece if
desired however.  Also the scope is an f16 Cassegrain using 4" eyepieces so
unless one has an adapter or this size eyepiece one need not bring their
favorite.

The following dates at or within a couple of days of new moon are at present
available:  April 9 although may still be snow up there, May 7, June 4, July 9
and some later dates.  Reservation forms and prepayment sent to Mt. Wilson is
necessary.

As to the cost, if  9 persons it would be $ 100 per person and so on.  It is
recommended that a small group attend because more objects can be observed.
Less than 9 is doable but the fewer sharing the cost tends to get more
expensive.  I would say we limit it to 15 maximum which would be $ 60 per
person.  If there is more interest than that number then two groups at
different dates could be arranged.  I will volunteer to do the arranging unless
someone else wishes to do so.

You would have to make your own travel arrangements and lodging as you prefer.
Some may want to spend a few days in the area and some may not.  Mt. Wilson is
very near Pasadena.  If we are fortunate on the evening selected a fog will
roll into the LA basin below and far better night sky will be available for
seeing according to Jeff Hester.  Not to say that light pollution prevents an
enjoyable evening without the fog cover.

If interested contact me off list and we will see how the numbers add up and
how a date might work for everyone.  Keep in mind once payment is collected up
front and paid to Mt. Wilson if you don't go there is no individual refund.
Refunds are as a group depending upon weather and such at the Mountain.  Then
Mt. Wilson will either refund to the group or arrange another date as we see
fit.

Chuck Crawford

astrogeoc@xxxxxxx

480-981-1295