[AZ-Observing] Re: Mt. Hopkins

  • From: Jay LeBlanc <jaleblan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 15:42:52 -0700

At 02:45 PM 7/20/01 -0700, you wrote:

>Can someone tell me if access is permitted at the Whipple Observatory
>on the weekends?  I see that the vistor center is only open during
>the week but I was curious if access was allowed on any part of the
>mountain and how close you can get to the actual observatories.
Hi John,
  The road seems in pretty shape, it is narrow enough that the visitor
center checks with the summit via radio to see if there is descending
traffic before they send large vans up the mountain, but I don't think it
much of a problem, as there are plenty of places where the road is wide
enough for cars to pass by each other..  There is a gate about 1 mile from
the summit.  You might want to check with the visitor center to see what
their policy is beyond the gate.  It  is a pretty ride.
   -Jay-

Visit my website at: <http://www.dakotacom.net/~jaleblan/index.html>

---
with the subject: unsubscribe.