[AZ-Observing] Mt. Hopkins

  • From: John Teel <jcteel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 14:45:12 -0700 (PDT)

Can someone tell me if access is permitted at the Whipple Observatory
on the weekends?  I see that the vistor center is only open during
the week but I was curious if access was allowed on any part of the
mountain and how close you can get to the actual observatories.  Also
how bad is the road?  I see that it's mostly a dirt road and someone
mentioned to me that if you enjoy "good" mountain roads then take
this one.  I enjoy scenic routes but I don't enjoy feeling like I
could die any minute either.  Is it pretty safe (i.e not just wide
enough for one vehicle, guardrails).  Are there any scenic lookout
points?  I've been up to Kitt Peak several times now and that road is
really nice but I suspect the Mt. Hopkins road is a little more
primitive.

Thanks,
John Teel

messages.  Thanks.