[AZ-Observing] Re: Morning observing report

  • From: "Frank Kraljic" <fjkraljic@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 13:28:22 -0700

Jack--

I suspect my collimation may be slightly off according to a star test.
Diffraction rings are clearly discernable and concentric out of focus at
center field, though.  I wouldn't be surprised however, if collimation were
the source of un-sharp images at the higher magnifications even if close to
being dead on.

Last apparition I distinguished the Encke division and minimum by accident.
The following morning I confirmed my suspicions.  Since that night I believe
a year ago, I've witnessed the division several other instances and honestly
felt it was commonplace; I also know of several other amateurs observing the
division though 10" apertures.  Then again, these are mirrors done by Mike
Spooner and Carl Zambuto.  That may make a difference.

Mike Mello gave me his supply of Collodion which I believe he purchased
online and used the solution to clean the meniscus corrector of his
Ceravolo.  Mike spoke highly of the process, but noted it left some flecks
behind.  From what I've read, these remnants can be removed using clear
adhesive tape.  I have a 6" mirror as my test subject before I clean the
10".

-FRANK