[AZ-Observing] More on NGC 1990 from Harold Corwin

  • From: Brian Skiff <bas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 13:48:39 -0700 (MST)

     Here are comments from Harold Corwin about Dean's epsilon Orionis
images.

Please send my thanks on to Dean for making his images public.
The latter two are especially welcome as they let us see into the
area around epsilon much more clearly than the survey plates.

I think that we need to get out with big reflectors similar to
the Herschels' telescopes and really examine these stars in dark
skies.  I'd be interested in seeing what the extended star images
look like under these conditions, and especially why some stars
misled the 19th century guys while most did not.

Another obvious thing to do is to model the star's profile on a
deep, clean image to see if it is symmetric.  My guess is that it
is, but the test still needs to be done.

Thanks again,
Harold

\Brian