[AZ-Observing] Re: Moonlit Messier/Solar System Marathon

  • From: AJ Crayon <acrayon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:43:30 -0700

Again, from Don Machholz's book. He planned his own Massive Marathon
that had 658 galaxies, clusters and nebulae; all of which he had seen
before in his 10" (25cm) telescope.  His cutoff was -40 deg.  On April
3/4, 1981 he located and identified 599 objects!

His telescope was equatorially mounted, had no setting circles and no
clock drive.  With current day GOTO systems he proposes 1000 objects or
more in one night!

Wow!
aj