[AZ-Observing] Re: Moonlit Canyon photos

  • From: "Bernie Sanden" <bsanden@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <rmscott@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 23:43:30 -0700

Thanks Rick.

Regarding the planets in the image
http://www.pbase.com/bsanden/image/64751444 :

I consulted Megastar and now I see how close I was to capturing Uranus
in the photo, as you noted.  You were, of course, right on the money
that I just wanted to tease all the conjunction photo enthusiasts out
there (I painstakingly hid Uranus behind a small shrub atop a boulder in
the V of the cliff).  I think I missed Neptune, too, but only because
the exposure time was just barely too short.  By comparing the field
with Megastar, it looks as if my shot shows stars only to about 6.2 -
6.5 mag or so.  Neptune is at about 6.8.  OK, with some averted
imagination, maybe I see it.  Take a look at the following comparison
chart where I circled what I believe to be the location of the planets
and see if it makes sense (I hope I got this right):

http://www.pbase.com/bsanden/image/64923532

As far as other hikers on the trail, I left the top at 10pm and even the
last stragglers were up and out by then, so I saw no other humans while
I was in the Canyon (between 10pm and 2am).

By the way, Geoff Babcock just reminded me about the Perseids next
weekend.  Even though the moon will be rising at 9:30pm or so (and
therefore ~80% illuminated) I think Cedar Ridge would still be a unique
location to watch the show.  So it may be a good weekend for any
considering one of these moonlit hikes.  It's out of the question for
me...I can't afford another $90 round-trip gas expense on back-to-back
weekends.

Thx,
Bernie