[AZ-Observing] Re: Moonlit Canyon photos

  • From: Rick Scott <rmscott@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 20:57:46 -0700

Hi Bernie,

Nice shots! Even though you went solo, were there other hikers on the trail?

Do you realize that on your photo "A view back up the trail from Ooh-Aah
Point" that you missed having Uranus by just a hairs width? Look just
above center, in the V-shaped notch in the rocks. There's a bright star
(Lambda Aquarii) toward the right side of the notch and three fainter
stars in at a 45 degree angle toward the left side. If you imagine those
star making the upper part of a diamond shape (45 degree rotated
square), then Uranus is at the bottom completing the diamond just below
the edge of the rock. I'm sure you knew that and just wanted to tease us.

Here's something else to mention about that photograph. It you go to the
brightest star down the right side from the top, you can see that it's
the beginning of a line of four bright stars going down to the left with
the last two being closer than the others. The second star down from the
upper right is Neptune!

See ya,
Rick