[AZ-Observing] Re: Moon on Sunday night

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 22:04:15 -0700

I concur with Steve!

An excellent night (bright, but very transparent). I got some of my
highest counts in the UBV band tonight. I stayed out for 3 hours
getting data and am just now getting warm. There were some thick
clouds to the west that drifted to the northeast. There was one
contrail. Other than that the sky over Phoenix was crystal.

Jeff

At 21:27 -0700 3/12/06, Steve Coe wrote:
>Well, after all that rain it certainly is transparent.  Actually the seeing
>was pretty steady.  But, the bitter cold (43 degrees!) chased me inside
>after 45 minutes of viewing the moon with the 8 inch.
>

>Pythagoras
>
>133X with double polarizer, this has often been a favorite because it is
>easy to spot, there are two medium sized craters "behind" Sinus Iridium that
>point right at it, almost.  This is a large prominent crater with a large
>central peak.  There is some slumping of the walls and the floor is rather
>smooth, at least the part I can see that is in sunlight.  There is a nice
>shadow of the central peak thrown across the crater floor.  There is some
>hummocky ground between Pythagoras and Oenopides.
>

>Oenopides
>
>133X and double polarizer; this is a medium sized crater with no central
>peak.  The floor is smooth.  The outer ring is broken in two small spots
>that are on the side of the crater opposite Pythagoras.  The walls have
>slumped somewhat in a small area.
>

>Babbage
>
>133X and double polarizer, this is a very ruined crater, it is filled with
>lava.  There are 4 small craterlets across the floor and the walls have been
>broken in several places so that it appears that the lava spilled out and
>left a ruined ring crater.
>

>In honor of Charles Babbage, my venerable old computer quit tonight.  After
>many years of excellent service, my 700 MHz Athlon with 64 Meg of RAM and 2,
>count'em 2, hard drives, one 2 GBytes and the "big one" at 6 GigaBytes;-)
>It has lost its mind and needs to go to the big recycle shop in the sky.
>

>Clear Skies to us all;
>
>Steve Coe
>
>--

Jeff Hopkins