[AZ-Observing] Re: Moon Grazing Star SAO 184540/184541

  • From: "Richard Harshaw" <rharshaw2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 07:45:46 -0700

Kevin, while you're at it, you can also go for an occultation of a double star
that is too close to split visually. When the moon occults an "occultation
binary", the light does not wink out all at once, but does a "step function"
fade-- say, half as bright for a second or so, then out.  Really cool to watch,
especially as the two stars are often less than 0.10" apart!

Richard Harshaw
The Arizona Star Splitter