[AZ-Observing] Re: Moon Grazing Star SAO 184540/184541

  • From: <kevin.kozel@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 10:41:41 -0400

Thanks, Tom.
It was really cool to see just the same.  I'll be watching from now on, and
checking the charts more often also.
KK
---- Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Kevin,

You saw an occultation.  In a true *grazing* occultation, the star disappears
and reappears more than one time, typically over a period of less than a
minute.  Since the star you were observing disappeared for only five minutes,
you would have been able to see a graze not very far south of your location.

Back in SAC's salad days, trips were organized in which large groups of us
would set up at regularly spaced stations along a graze path, and do timings
that could be used to refine the profile of the moon's limb.

Tom