[AZ-Observing] Re: Monochrome Meade DSI

  • From: Andrew Cooper <acooper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 08:54:27 -0700

Pretty good news, fixed color filters really do create problems with
astronomical imaging.  A monochome version fixes some of the objections
I had against the DSI.  The increase of sensitivity would be correct for
getting rid of the on chip color filters.  The 16bit specification is
really a bit of marketing fluff, with a Sony CCD they are really getting
about 13bits at best, unless binning, then they could theoretically get
14bits, it could be much less depending on which CCD they use from the
Sony line.  You can't bin with the color version and still get color,
you get a poor sensitivity monochrome.

Andrew