[AZ-Observing] Re: Mobile Observatory

  • From: "Richard Harshaw" <rharshaw2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 16:38:49 -0700

Troy, most of the mobile (and "solid") observatories I have seen are built
on utility trailers with sturdy jacks at the corners so the base unit can be
leveled firmly on the ground. But even then, the deck will tend to flex with
movement and so star images will dance a lot before the vibration damps
down.

I have a Pier Tech in a permanent observatory and wish it were mobile, as it
is a dream to work with!  I suppose one COULD mount a P.T. pier on a large
steel plate (say, 24" x 24" x 1/2") and power it with a DC/AC converter, but
you'd still need some way to level it in the field.

I even saw one "mobile observatory" at the Nebraska Star Party in 2002 that
consisted of a 4-foot DOME mounted on an old converted ambulance (think 1/2
ton cube truck, not the "Ghostbusters" vintage Woody wagon). Looked cool as
all get out going down the road, but it too suffered from floor vibration.

Then, of course, there is the famous photo of an 8-inch refractor mounted to
the body of a 1940's era sedan as shown in Leslie Peltier's autobiography.

I really don't know how you could make a truly solid mobile observatory for
equipment this large short of spending several thousands to stiffen a stock
utility trailer.

Richard Harshaw