[AZ-Observing] Miserable weahter in New Mexico

  • From: stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: SMTP <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 19:53:28 -0700

Howdy all;

The weather has been really poor, lots of clouds and wind.  We did get
on decent night viewing with the 42 inch and I got a few images last
night before the clouds moved in.

I am planning to see you folks at the meadow for New Moon in May.  It is
going to be pretty warm here by then.  The bad news is that is Memorial
Day.  Oh Well.

Here is the one observation I have typed in so far.

M 3 42" f/4 New Mexico Astronomy Village Seeing and Transparency=6/10,
20mm eyepiece.  A "Wowwie" view if there ever was one.  Overall the
globular is very bright, very large and little elongated.  the number of
resolved stars is overwhelming even on a mediocre night.  I counted 65
stars in one quadrant for a total of about 250 total members.  The core
is elongated in the same PA as the main cluster.  Several thin dark
lanes are easily seen among the myriad of stars.  There are 9 stars in
this cluster that I see as yellow in color, the rest are white.  Averted
vision almost fills the field of view with small star points.  The big
scope provides a wonderous view of an old favorite.

See ya;
Steve Coe