[AZ-Observing] Mini-Orion Asterism in SAC Database

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 11:48:01 -0400

An EVAC member recently asked me about an asterism named "Mini-Orion" in SAC's
Asterism Database.  The coordinates are given as 7h17.0m -21d24m.  He noted
that several observers have not spotted the asterism at this position.  Another
group has been discussing a mini-Orion at a different location.  That
discussion is here:  http://mixlab.observatory.cz/mac/?action=view&id=189

When I look at the field around the coordinates in the SAC database in
Megastar, I can't put together an Orion asterism, but I recognize that's not
the same as visually observing the field.  Has anybody made a drawing of the
asterism, perhaps with a stick figure.  Is there a chance that the coordinates
are erroneous?

Tom