[AZ-Observing] Meteorite Impact Site Overlay for Google Earth

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 20:13:28 -0400

Recently, a meteor crater enthusiast in England named Michael Gill created an
overlay of impact sites for Google Earth.  He has given me permission to put it
on my Web space.  The overlay consists of latitudes and longitudes from the
Earth Impact Database, which is nicely described and illustrated at this site.

http://www.unb.ca/passc/ImpactDatabase/index.html

After you start up Google Earth, simply use "File-Open..." on the file below,
and the overlays will appear.  They can be toggled on and off with the
"Temporary Places" checkbox.

http://members.cox.net/tpolakis/astro/Craters___Impact_Sites.kmz

Note that many of the impact sites are not visible, as indicated by an "N" the
"Exposed" column in the database.  But some of them (beside the obvious one in
Arizona) are real whoppers, like Wolf Creek Crater in Australia and Lonar
Crater in India.

Tom