[AZ-Observing] Re: Meteor or was it Something Else?

  • From: <saguaroastro@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 7:48:34 -0700

I doubt it was an Iridium flare. It's been my observation that the brighter the
flare the shorter it's duraton.  You can check on prevuious flares on
Heavens-Above for 48 hours prior, so the window has passed to validate that.
Also, I've never noted much color to Iridium flares, several of the witnesses
quoted reported seeing colors involved.

For my 3.77665 Slovenian Tolars, I'd say it was a meteor, Not much space junk
large enough to make that big of a fuss. That and if it was space junk, it
would've been easy enough to verify, particularly if it was a large chunk.

Clear Skies
Rick