[AZ-Observing] Re: Meteor or was it Something Else?

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 10:40:23 -0400

---- Neville Cole <nevillecole@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Did anyone here witness the bright so-called fireball visible over Arizona
> on Sunday night? (I didn't)
>
> From the article in the Arizona Republic today, the eyewitnesses talk about
> what sounds like something that's considerably slower moving than any meteor
> I've ever seen or heard of.

A Google News search turns up stories in the Republic and the Albuquerque
Journal.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/1003meteor1003.html
http://www.abqjournal.com/abqnews/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1562&Itemid=2

I'd agree with Neville that it's space junk.  The Albuquerque Journal piece
mentions that it lasted 30 seconds.  Meteors typically move much faster than a
hand width (5 degrees) per second.   Unless they're right in the line of sight,
the slowest meteors come and go before non-astronomer types get a chance to see
them.

Maybe I should stop speculating, though, and leave this matter for Dr. Sky to
explain to the press.

Tom