[AZ-Observing] Re: Message From Steve Coe

  • From: "Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 18:13:10 GMT

15480 Empire Rd.
Benson, AZ 85602
hm ph: 520-586-2244
Interesting weather report, AJ. Tucson area weather has been weird, too. The
Sunday before last we had a dust storm with high winds (which pitted my
windshield) and almost zero visibility while we were driving around Tucson,
along with rain and hail, all within 10 minutes. My wife reported 1/2-inch
hailstones in a separate storm about an hour later while running another
errand.

Any reports from the Texas Star Party or RTMC (actually SAS, right now) at Big
Bear?

Despite all the strange weather, the HAC group had a nice star party at member
Dave Healy's observatory using his 32-inch and a couple other members brought
their scopes. After that, I had a nice couple nights of observing with the
25-inch from my backyard the past two nights. It was fairly breezy the first
night and my scope was acting like a big sail, but the seeing and transparency
were surprisingly good. I had great views of many of the smaller galaxies in
the Virgo Cluster and had a nice view of the Coma Cluster, too. It was cooler,
but calm on the second night, although the seeing wasn't quite as good. I made
some good observations of the galaxies M51 and M101 and saw quite a number of
smaller galaxies in their surrounding areas.

Clear skies,
Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)