[AZ-Observing] Mercury-star conjunction

  • From: "Orman Joe-P27491" <Joe.Orman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 13:06:34 -0700

This morning (Jan 31), an hour before sunrise, I observed Mercury only 3 =
arc-minutes to the right of Albaldah (pi Sagittarii).  To the naked eye =
only 0.1-magnitude Mercury was visible, fairly low in the =
east-southeast, but through 10x50 binoculars the 3rd-magnitude star was =
plainly visible.  Mercury will be at its greatest illuminated extent and =
greatest elongation (25 degrees west of the sun) in the next few days, =
so look for it in morning twilight (to the lower left of much-brighter =
Venus, and much closer to the horizon).

Many other things to see during the coming year are listed in my Sky =
Events Almanac 2003:
http://pages.prodigy.net/pam.orman/JoeAlmanac2003.html

--Joe Orman

Joe Orman's Photo Pages: