[AZ-Observing] Re: Mercury transit experience.

  • From: "Jimmy Ray" <jimmy_ray@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 20:50:56 -0700

I set up in the parking lot at work using my little Orion 80mm "Shortube"
with a Kendrick Baader Filter, 25mm eyepiece and a 2X barlow (32X). I
observed throughout the day from two minuets leading up to first contact
until just after third contact after which the sun set behind the building
(I did throw the scope up on the truck in an effort to gain altitude but Sol
moves pretty quick). I did attempt to record the event using a Celestron
"Neximage" but the small scope coupled with the low resolution of the CCD
chip made it imposable it image. I found it interesting to see how the image
"rotated" throughout the day (I was using a manual Alt-Az with slomo
controls) The Sunspot started at about the 8 'o'clock position and ended up
around the 10:30 position. Because of this "rotation" Mercury appeared to
transit in an arc going from 7 'o'clock "up and over" to 4 'o'clock. A
memorable experience...

Jimmy Ray