[AZ-Observing] Re: Mercury transit experience.

  • From: Frank OGorman <fogastro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 18:16:53 -0800 (PST)

Being telescopically- and binocularly- challenged these days (theft), I took a
drive from downtown out to 67th Ave and Virginia at lunch time to take
advantage of Jeff Hopkins' hospitality and gear at the local community center.
He had a nice setup in the courtyard of the Center, with direct views thru his
large scope as well as a pc-monitor view thru his smaller scope. As mentioned
by others, the sunspot made a nice companion to the planet  - Jeff noted that
the sunspot seemed to be growing larger as time went on, though I couldn't stay
long enough to observe that. I agree that it was a beautiful and interesting
sight, and I'm glad I made the trip out to see it.

  I left with a handful of cookies and some punch, courtesy of the Center -
thanks to Jeff for providing me and the others with a good look at a rare
event.

  Frank

Joe Larkin <joeclarkin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I went with the low tech approach.

I projected the Sun onto a piece of paper using my 3" refractor with
Jaeger's objective. Took some pictures of the paper to immortalize
it.

The big spot and Mercury showed on the viewfinder but besides that, I
don't know how they turned out. Only saw last hour of transit
including last contacts.

The Sun looked much better than yesterday when the big spot wasn't
yet visible. Some nice structure around it as well as around the two
little spots nearer to where Mercury exited the scene.

A very relaxing event as I did it in my upstairs bedroom through an
open window.

Joe Larkin