[AZ-Observing] Meeting-Star Party at Blue Hills Observatory

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2011 23:39:12 -0700

JOINT MEETING-STAR PARTY OF THE SW ASTROPHYSICISTS AND ARIZONA OBSERVERS

On October 22, 2011, Saturday (a week before the All Arizona Star
Party), I am having a joint meeting-star party, of the SW (South West)
) and Arizona Observers at Blue Hills Observatory in Dewey, Arizona.
Blue Hills Observatory is at about 5140 ft. elevation and is about 90
miles north of Phoenix. I will provided directions on how to get here to
those who plan on attending. This is the second meeting of SW
Astrophysicists - the first one was held in September, 2008. This event
is the result of repeated suggestions by Jeff Hopkins.

In addition to being a traditional star party, it will also be a
spectroscopic star party, although the spectroscopy part may be small,
consisting of, at the minimum, myself and Jeff Hopkins. I know of at
least one other individual that may attend who has a spectrometer. I
will have my LHIRES III (a high resolution spectrometer) mounted on my
Meade 16” LX200R. Jeff will bring his 8" LX 90 and his EXT60. He uses
the EXT60 with an eyepiece Star Analyser combination, and he uses either
a DSI Pro II or Toucam with a Star Analyser for the LX90. He will also
demo some spectra with RSpec. Spectroscopic star parties occur in Europe
and so why not here?

This is not a spectrometry workshop, but I and Jeff and will
demonstrate-teach anyone who requests it on how to take a spectrum and
how to reduce (process) it.

I have had at least three other star parties here in the past. It is
still a good location for observing and is comparable to the Cherry Road
site. I have a large lot for setting up telescopes and camping
overnight. Those who are not familiar with the location can get some
idea of what it is like at
http://users.commspeed.net/stanlep/permanentobservatoryns.html

The format is open to changes, but tentatively, it is set up to start at
3:00pm for anyone who wants to show up that early and socialize before
dinner. The dinner will be a pot luck and will start around 5:00. The
main dish is always a problem. I could have hot dogs and hamburgers, but
the problem is finding someone to grill them. Unless there is a
volunteer, maybe the best thing is to just take our chances in the
spirit of “Pot Luck.” Alternatively, I could try and coordinate what
those attending will bring.

I am open to the meeting-star party starting earlier than 3:00 to
include show and tells, such as astro images, or anything else anyone
wants to talk about. Let me know if you would like to do this. If there
is enough demand I can try and set it up inside my house, if I can get
some help like I had at the 2008 meeting.