[AZ-Observing] Re: McNaught: Still Naked Eye From Flagstaff, AZ

  • From: Jeremy Perez <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 18:15:04 -0700

Great reports everyone. And very nice shots Tom. Randy, I wasn't able
to view yours...msn says it's too busy :-/

I wish I had been able to catch it yesterday, but just wasn't in a
position to. Today, I drove a few miles to the west side of Flagstaff
to get out of the shadow of an hours-old standing wave cloud hovering
over the east side of town. At 3:50 pm, I was able to set up my 10x50
binoculars on a tripod in the shadow of a park ramada and finally
picked up the comet. The soft, white coma was amazingly bright in the
mid-afternoon sky, and I estimated seeing about 10 arc-minutes of the
broad tail breezing away to the east in a 100 degree wide cone. I was
happy to be able to share the sight with a passerby who saw it
easily. With foreground landmarks for perspective, I was also able to
see the comet naked eye with a bit of difficulty--something I'm very
pleased that this comet allowed me to accomplish.

When I got home, that pesky cloud was gone, and I was able to set up
my 6" newtonian. I attached a solar filter, centered on the Sun, then
slewed 5.5 degrees east and 2.5 degrees south. Removing the filter,
and taking care not to bump the scope, I was able to view, sketch,
and photograph the comet for the next twenty minutes before it
dropped behind the neighboring houses. I'll get the sketches and
photos posted and linked soon.

Jeremy
Flagstaff, AZ
http://beltofvenus.perezmedia.net