[AZ-Observing] Mars in S&T

  • From: "Stanley A. Gorodenski" <stan_gorodenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 19:08:39 -0800

On page 137 of October issue of S&T is a picture someone took of Mars. I
am surprised that Mars would look so big against the Moon. What bothers
me in particular is the limb of the Moon occulting part of Mars. It
seems to be arced to much, and it also does not appear to be concentric
with my eyeball projected shape of the Moon. It appears to be angled
slightly against my eyeball projected shape of the Moon. Can anyone
educate me on what I am seeing? Is the polar cap creating some kind of
visual illusion causing my eyes to play tricks on themselves? Is it a
problem with reproducing an image on printed page or the medium upon
which the original image was made?
Stan