[AZ-Observing] Re: Mars and the Moon

  • From: "Keith Schlottman" <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 12:21:37 -0700

Hi Sam and Chris, I was hoping we'd see some pictures, both are great!
Chris I like how you used a setting of the Rim.  I've got out-of-town family
visiting and last night we were in the mall parking lot when my
Sister-in-Law said, "Look, the Moon has a satellite"!  I think we caught it
just about at closest approach and it was quite a treat.  By the time we got
home a few hours later, they were a lot farther apart.
I tried taking some webcam images of Mars a few days ago with the 14", I
have not quite got the processing right yet but I went ahead and put up a
preliminary anyway:
http://www.xanaduobservatory.com/Mars_20071219.jpg
A bit too dark still and not as sharp as I'd like.  I think I'll try a
couple more times while it's near opposition.
Clear Skies,
Keith Schlottman