[AZ-Observing] Re: Mars Polar Cap (detached chunk)

  • From: "William R Wood" <wmrwood@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 14:16:16 -0700

Thanks for the info Joe.

The images I was seeing were sometimes sharper but always less intense, or
maybe less saturated is the right term, than the images in the link you
provided.  Having been clouded out for about 10+ days I was surprised and
amazed by the chunk.  I did subscribe to the Marsobservers list for a couple
of days about 2 months ago but was buried in email so I signed off.  I liked
the views at 240x best and the chunk was still obvious but it was more
cleanly separated at 400x.  I never would have guessed that it was really
separated by as much as its own width (as reported by Brian S), however.
Apparently I need a much bigger telescope :o)

I am going to try my 5" refractor next time out and hope to see both moons
since I will not have to deal with the reflector's diffraction spikes.

Regards

Bill Wood